10 Crazy Plumbing Facts and
A Little History on the Side
Plumbing problems, we all have them and they're awful. They smell bad, flood our homes and destroy a lot of stuff. So when the worst happens, who do we call to fix it? The heroic plumber! However, the average person does not know much about the noble profession, so we assembled some facts to enlighten us all about where our modern plumber comes from.
“Plumbing” comes from the word for lead, which is plumbum. People who worked with lead were called Plumbarius, which was eventually shortened to the word we use today. Plumbing dates back to roman times when the Romans used lead pipe inscriptions to prevent water theft. After that, virtually no advance in the profession was made until the 19th century when actual sewage systems were created to eliminate cesspools. More recently, technology has taken off and resulted in the modern piping and water treatment that we enjoy everyday.
10 Crazy Facts About Plumbing and Its Rich History
- Albert Einstein was made an honorary member of the Plumbers and Steamfitters Union after he had announced that he would be a plumber if he had to live his life all over again.
- In the technology capitol of the world, Japan, some urinals have voice activated flushing mechanisms. The urinals respond to several commands, including “fire.”
- Over $100,000 were spent on a study to determine whether most people put their toilet paper on the holder with the flap in front or behind.
The answer: Three out of four people have the flap in the front.
- 90% of pharmaceuticals taken by people are excreted through urination. Therefore our sewer systems contain heavy dose of drugs. A recent study by the EPA has found fish containing trace amounts of estrogen, cholesterol-lowering drugs, pain relievers, antibiotics, caffeine and even anti-depressants.
- President Richard Nixon had set up a White House Special Investigations Unit to plug intelligence leaks in the governmental processes associated with the Vietnam War. The members of this convert group were popularly called “plumbers.”
- The toilet is flushed more times during the super bowl halftime than at any time during the year. We imagine the 8 million pounds of popcorn, 28 million pounds of potato chips, and 1 billion chicken wings really get to you at halftime.
- Who are the most famous plumbers ever?
Mario and Luigi of course! They have been in over 200 games since Mario bros was created in 1985.
- King George II of Great Britain died falling off a toilet on the 25th of October 1760.
- The “Bathroom” has been named many different things in many different places. Here are a few of my favorite ones: The Egyptians named it the House of Horror, the Romans named it the Necessarium for obvious reasons. The Tudors who ruled England for a period of time called the bathroom the privy or house of privacy. People of France call it “La Chambre Sent” meaning the smelly house, self-explanatory of course. Israelis call the bathroom the house of honor, this one confuses us the most.
- The average person spends three whole years of their life sitting on the toilet. We hope you brought a good book.
Fox Plumbing & Heating hopes that you enjoyed these facts and don’t forget to say hello to your neighborhood plumbing professional!
Choose Fox Plumbing & Heating Today!
No matter what plumbing issues you may be facing in your home, you can always rely on our Seattle plumbing professionals for the help you need. From clogged drains to tankless water heater installations, and anything else in between, we will be able to help you. With over 50 years of plumbing experience to bring to your home, you can rest easy knowing that your home is in the best hands.
Are you looking for an expert Seattle plumber you can trust? Call us at (206) 654-4990 and let our professional Seattle plumbers offer you over 50 years of plumbing experience today!
Award Winning Customer Service
Fox Plumbing & Heating places an emphasis on training and customer relationships with our neighbors and customers in Seattle and the Greater King County Area. We’ve won awards from Angie’s List, Seattle’s Talk of the Town and the U.S. Commerce Association for excellence in customer service and business. And in 2013 we were awarded the Super Service Award from Angie’s List.
Our Plumbing Professionals have weekly training from the top vendors in the country to help insure that you get the best service, and most knowledgeable expertise the first time. Fox Plumbing & Heating takes pride in knowing that we only provide the best products in the industry.
We’re Available 24 Hours a Day, 7 Days a Week
Fox Plumbing & Heating Professionals are always ready for your call. Our team are fully stocked with the tools needed to service your plumbing, heating or cooling needs day or night. We are a one stop service and installation company for your sewer, plumbing, heating, cooling, or water needs, that’s why we say, ‘Think Out of the Box… Talk to Fox!’
Located at 7501 2nd Ave. S, Seattle, we’ve been servicing all of Seattle and King County for over 50 years, and we’re looking forward to servicing all your needs for the next 50 years!
You Can Find Fox Plumbing & Heating Servicing all of Seattle and King County
Our 50th Anniversary was just last year, and we are continuing party with these great specials until the end of 2015. Below are just some of the specials that we offer. You can like us on Facebook and Twitter to get special offers from Fox Plumbing & Heating.
$99 Tune Up Special
Get our 18 point inspection for $99 dollars
Our Customers Keep Talking About Us
Friends, neighbors and customers keep telling us what a great job that we've been doing and you can see more of our testimonials here. Below are testimonials from our previous customers from Seattle and all over King County.