Are you looking for more ways to save energy and water in your home?
Here are ten hidden ways to lower your utility bills and help save the environment.
- Maintain Your Plumbing and HVAC Systems: Did you know that routine maintenance for your plumbing and HVAC system can actually help maintain efficiency? There are a lot of homeowners who know that routine maintenance can reduce repair needs but may not know that it helps to save energy.
- Monitor Utility Bills: Paying attention to utility bills is a great way to figure out how much water or energy you use so that you can set goals for reducing your usage.
- Install Pipe insulation: on both hot and cold pipes in crawlspaces, attic, and garages.
- Install water savings flow restrictor shower heads.
You can find these in a kit at your local hardware store for just a few bucks.
- Lower the Thermostat on Your Hot Water Heater: An easy way to save energy is to lower the thermostat on your hot water heater to 120 degrees.
- Install Low-Flow Plumbing Fixtures: Installing low-flow faucets and fixtures that can greatly reduce your water usage and bills.
- Close Your Chimney Damper: Remember to close your damper when you are not using your wood stove or fireplace.
- Upgrade Your Thermostat: Upgrading to digital programmable thermostats can help to ensure accurate readings and more energy savings.
- Upgrade to Double-Paned Windows: Upgrade to double-paned glass windows and doors for your next weatherization project.
- Use Ceiling Fans in Reverse in the Winter: By simply changing the direction of your ceiling fans’ rotation to counterclockwise in the winter, you can help push the warm air that rises back down.
See more energy savings ideas at Consumer Reports
Like these tips see more :
- Christmas Hosting Disasters and How to Avoid Them
- Drain Problems
- Water Shut Off
- Tune Ups for Your Furnace
Submit your review